PurplyCookie's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling

"There were a hundred and forty-two staircases at Hogwarts: wide, sweeping ones; narrow, rickety ones; some that led somewhere different on a Friday; some with a vanishing step halfway up that you had to remember to jump. Then there were doors that wouldn't open unless you asked politely, or tickled them in exactly the right places, and doors that weren't really doors at all, but solid walls just pretending. It was also very hard to remember where anything was, because it all seemed to move around a lot. The people in the portraits kept going to visit each other, and Harry was sure the coats of armor could walk."

Honestly, I don't know anybody who'd refuse to even entertain the thought of attending a school for wizards. Yes, the experience itself may be daunting and scary but really, most of us would welcome an opportunity to escape the mundane world and enter one of the fantastical. And such is what "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is: an introduction to world that you could never have imagine may possibly exist.

I've already lost count as to how many times I've re-read the Harry Potter series. The plot and characters are well known and described in many reviews, so I will not address them. I don't even think I need to convince anybody to read these books and/or watch the movies. Harry Potter and the magical world that J.K. Rowling has creating (Leaky Cauldron, Diagon Alley, Hogwarts) in the first book alone have already become household names the world over that you have to be living under a rock if you haven't been aware of this phenomenon.
"Welcome," said Hagrid, "to Diagon Alley."
Harry wished he had eight more eyes. He turned his head in every direction as they walked up the street., trying to look at everything at once: the shops, the things outside them, the people doing their shopping.
There were shops selling robes, shops selling telescopes and strange silver instruments Harry had never seen before, tottering piles of spell books, quills, and rolls of parchment, potion bottles, globes of the moon...

I believe that I maybe counted as one of the millions of readers worldwide who wished something better for Harry Potter, especially being made aware of the miserable treatment done to him by his Muggle relatives. I too wish to know the contents of the mysterious letters which were detailedly addressed to the exact location of Harry. I cheered when Hagrid finally got a hold of Harry and conveyed to him the message that he'll be attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry that coming term.
"Harry had never even imagined such a strange and splendid place. It was lit by thousands and thousands of candles that were floating in midair over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting."

I was looking forward as well to the process of selecting a wizard's wand and what exactly it is that aids magic:
"Every Ollivander wand has a core of a powerful magical substance, Mr. Potter. We use unicorn hairs, phoenix tail feathers, and the heartstrings of dragons. No two Ollivander wans are the same, just as no two unicorns, dragons, or phoenixes are quite the same. And of course, you will never get such good results with another wizard's wand."

Instead of retelling the plot of which most people are already familiar with, I'd like to post here my favorite scenes and quotes from the book itself. One treat was finding out the type of delicious treats available to those who travel aboard the Hogwarts Express:
"What she did have were Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, Droobles Best Blowing Gum, Chocolate Frogs, Pumpkin Pasties, Cauldron Cakes, Licorice Wands, and a number of other strange things Harry had never seen in his life."

I didn't expect the fast and true friendship that would form between Harry, Hermione and Ron. Early on we've managed to catch glimpses of the personalities of the two boys but of Hermione, I snickered:
"I hope you're pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed -- or worse, expelled."

One item (aside from a witch's wand) that I'd like to have is most probably Harry's Invisibility Cloak. Just think of the possibilities! And yes, I wouldn't pass up the chance to stand in front of the Mirror of Erised: "I show not your face but your heart's desire." No matter what Dumbledore may say that:
"It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts."

The best laugh out loud moment of the entire book would be:
"Devil's Snare, Devil's Snare...what did Professor Sprout say? -- it likes the dark and the damp --"
"So light sa fire!" Harry choked.
"Yes -- of course -- but there's no wood!" Hermione cried, wringing her hands.
"Have you done mad?" Ron bellowed. "Are you a witch or not?"

But what would make one continue reading and ultimately finishing the Harry Potter series? It's because, like Harry and the rest of the magical world, we all want to know what exactly happened that night when Voldemort tried to kill the Potter family. How was it possible that Harry, as a mere baby at the time, survived? Would the friendship between Harry, Ron & Hermione survive the test of being constantly thrust into the limelight fraught with dangers? Why does Prof. Snape hate Harry so much, that you couldn't help tagging him as the one trying to steal the Sorcerer's Stone all this time? "The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should be treated with great caution."

Book Details:

Title Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Author J.K. Rowling
Reviewed By Purplycookie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

Quotes PurplyCookie Liked

J.K. Rowling
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”

J.K. Rowling
“Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!”

J.K. Rowling
“I hope you're pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed - or worse, expelled. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bed.”

J.K. Rowling
“You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid-we know we're called Gred and Forge.”

J.K. Rowling
“So light a fire!" Harry choked. "Yes...of course...but there's no wood!" ...
"HAVE YOU GONE MAD!" Ron bellowed. "ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT!”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review Joyzi & Brian! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Arushi! :)