Kat Shelton's Reviews > The Suicide Index: Putting My Father's Death in Order

F 50x66
Apr 29, 2009

it was ok
Read in April, 2009

Book Jacket - On a winter morning in 1991, Joan Wickersham's fathet shot himself. The father she loved would never have killed himself and yet he had. His death made a mystery of his entire life. Who was he? Why did he do it? And who was she now? Joan Wickersham has chosen the index format - that most formal and objective of stuctures - to impose order on this chaotic and incomprehensible reality. The form mirrors the mind's attempt to grasp the ungraspable. Every bit of family history, every encounter with friends, doctors, and other survivors exposes another facet of the elusive truth. Dark, funny, sad and gripping, at once a philosophical and a deeply personal exploration, The Suicide Index is, finally, a daughter's anguished, loving elegy to her father.

I choose to read this book, like a lot of my choices, because of a book club of mine was reading it. It was a disturbing book, in the fact that you never are really sure why the father killed himself. The author gives hints, but doesn't come out and say anything. The pain she feels trickles down to her husband and son later in her life. I wasn't that interested in the book....simply because the style of writing wasn't to my liking. But it was a change of pace for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Suicide Index.