Erin Arkin's Reviews > Eleanor & Park

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Feb 23, 13

bookshelves: books-i-will-love-forever-and-ever, i-have-a-real-book
Read on February 22, 2013

All the feels with this one.

I am sitting here wondering what the heck I am going to write that will do this book any kind of justice. This story had everything that makes reading a book one of my favorite things to do. Eleanor and Park are not those perfect teenagers with perfect lives that meet, fall in love and live happily ever after but that is really what makes this book.

It is 1986 and Eleanor is living with her mother, 4 brothers and sisters, and her step-father after having been away for a year. Eleanor will do what she needs to in order to survive and I loved that about her. Park is one of those kids that is on the fringe…not popular but also not at the bottom of the food chain. He completely recognizes it and even realizes that his life could be worse if it weren’t for kids like Eleanor.

Her first introduction to Park was awkward and somewhat humiliating…being the new kid and trying to find a seat on a full school bus – definitely not a fun situation. He eventually takes pity on her and the situation and tells her to just sit down. With that, the uncomfortable silences eventually turn into sharing of comic books, music and then eventually more.

This story about how these characters fall in love is wonderful and with the switching point of views we get glimpses into the heads of both Eleanor and Park which I thought was important. Where Eleanor was tough and at times putting up walls, Park was trying to tear them down and really get to know her.

When I say I had all the feels with this book, I’m not kidding. The range emotions evoked by this story and these characters was almost ridiculous and that is why this will stay on my favorites list.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor & Park.

Quotes Erin Liked

Rainbow Rowell
“I want everyone to meet you. You're my favorite person of all time.”

Rainbow Rowell
“What do you want to show me?"

"Nothing, really. I just want to be alone with you for a minute."

He pulled her to the back of the driveway, where they were almost completely hidden by a line of trees and the RV and the garage.

"Seriously?" she said. "That was so lame."

"I know," he said, turning to her. "Next time, I'll just say, 'Eleanor, follow me down this dark alley, I want to kiss you.'"

She didn't roll her eyes. She took a breath, then closed her mouth. He was learning how to catch her off guard.

She pushed her hands deeper in her pockets, so he put his hands on her elbows. "Next time," he said, "I'll just say, 'Eleanor, duck behind these bushes with me, I'm going to lose my mind if I don't kiss you.'"

She didn't move, so he thought it was probably okay to touch her face. Her skin was as soft as it looked, white and smooth as freckled porcelain.

"I'll just say, 'Eleanor, follow me down this rabbit hole...'"

He laid his thumb on her lips to see if she'd pull away. She didn't. He leaned closer. He wanted to close his eyes, but he didn't trust her not to leave him standing there.”

Rainbow Rowell
“Nothing before you counts," he said. "And I can't even imagine an after."

She shook her head. "Don't."

"Don't talk about after."

"I just meant that... I want to be the last person who ever kisses you, too.... That sounds bad, like a death threat or something. What I'm trying to say is, you're it. This is it for me.”

Rainbow Rowell
“The first time he'd held her hand, it felt so good that it crowded out all the bad things. It felt better than anything had ever hurt.”

02/22/2013 page 1
0.0% "Ready for all the swoon people are talking about..." 1 comment
02/22/2013 page 74
22.0% " that's holding hands."

message 1: by willaful (new)

willaful I have to steal your shelf name...

Erin Arkin :) I know...I sometimes see shelves and think I need them.