Douglas Meeks's Reviews > How To Have A Perfect Marriage

How To Have A Perfect Marriage by Dicey Grenor

Feb 22, 13

Penola and Lennon are self absorbed and shallow, but that does not mean they can’t have a perfect marriage, courtesy of the many rules that Penola has gotten from her Mother (and a few she made up herself I think). The rules govern her every move to make her marriage “perfect” and Lennon better wake up and realize his wife is dedicated to her marriage to the point where she might need a new address where the walls are much softer and they don’t let you have shoestrings..

While a bit of a narcissist and just a wee bit insane IMHO Penola is working at that perfect marriage and nothing (make that NOTHING!) is going to stop her from giving it 100% even if Lennon is clueless about exactly how obsessed his dear wife is to that goal.

The chaos in this short story is great, the humor is dark and edgy but I enjoyed it completely. As a short story it gets a 4.5 for originality and dark humor. Might have been nice to have it longer but I think Dicey got the story told nicely in a compact form and by the time it is over you are really going to like Penola in spite of her wee break from sanity (you are gonna love it). I mean, a perfect marriage is worth doing anything …… isn’t it? This one of the better short stories/novelettes I have read in some time :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How To Have A Perfect Marriage.