Corrine's Reviews > Vision in White

2084774
May 15, 09

bookshelves: contemporary, beta-heroes
Read in May, 2009

Sometime between the Quinn Bros. trilogy in 1999 and the Key trilogy in 2000, there was a big change in Nora's writing voice. One I really, really don't like. It seems, more and more, that she began channeling Candace Bushnell (Sex and the City, Lipstick Jungle). Almost everyone heroine since then has grated on my nerves, with the notable exception of the heroine of Angels Fall. This book is no different.

Mac Elliot runs a wedding planning shop with her three friends, in which she is the photographer. She's commitment-phobic because of her parents' multiple marriages and an all-around crappy childhood, and she's a big enabler for her narcissistic mother. When she meets Carter again after being barely acquainted with him in high school, she recognizes that this could potentially be a serious relationship, and she basically sets out to sabatoge it in any way she can. Okay, maybe that's a little harsh, but sometimes I just wanted to take her by the shoulders and shake the crap out of her.

Carter is the typical Beta hero that Nora has been falling back on since the Calhoun series: bumbling, soft-spoken, slow to anger teacher hero with simmering passion just below the surface for the heroine. We've seen this character before, and she didn't really make this one any different. At times, he was almost just as frustrating as Mac, because he was just too patient.

One thing I did love, and that bumped my rating up, was the friendship between the four women. I can't wait for Parker's story, though that will probably be last, and I'm tentatively excited for Emma's story (and I think I know her HEA) because she seems so fun and cheerful. Because of this element, and because at the very end, Mac redeemed herself by pulling her head out of her @$$, I give this a B-.

ETA: Changed rating and grade to C after much deliberation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vision in White.

05/04/2009 page 0
05/06/2009 page 233
71.69% "Sigh... I hate weddings." 6 comments
05/07/2009 page 352
100% "Review to follow, hopefully soon."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani I'm interested in what you thought about this one, I'm considering buying it. Unfortunately, Nora Roberts is a hit or miss for me, so I'd like to hear your opinion before I spend my lemmings:)

Tammy Nice review! I haven't finished this one yet, but I can't help thinking of it as a cross between Lisa Kleypas's Wallflower series and Sex in the City because of the girlfriends aspect and the various personalities.

If you don't care for her new writing voice and I'm enjoying it, that means I'm really going to like her older stuff once I start exploring it!

Teryl Finally...someone who thinks the same as me about Nora's new writing voice. For me I noticed it big time in Tribute. For the longest time I couldn't put my finger on what I didn't like about it. It feels like the heroine's verbalize every single thought they have and the justification for said thoughts. I haven't really liked her heroines for awhile now.

message 4: by Corrine (last edited May 07, 2009 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Corrine The one I really noticed it on was Blue Dahlia. I was nervous to pick that one up after reading Northern Lights (hated it) and my nervousness was unfortunately justified.

message 5: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani Thanks Corrine for the feedback! It seems like you enjoyed it after all to me, right? I think I will add this in my wishlist:)

Corrine Yea, the last ten pages or so changed my mind dramatically about the rating for this book.

Dina Hmmm, not so good after all, huh? I guess the last 10 pages weren't enough to "save" the book for you, then.

Corrine No, I started thinking about books that really deserved four stars, and this just didn't come close.

Anna I completely agree regarding her voice, her hero, annoying heroines! There was nothing new or interesting about her book and her attempt to be more modern or edgy is terrible.

message 10: by Keisha (new) - added it

Keisha I have been hesitant to read anything from her for the same reason. I purchase every new release with the hopes of one day reading something. She keeps disappointing. I am going to make my 4th attempt at this series.