Lisa's Reviews > Wedlock

Wedlock by Wendy Moore

F_50x66
Apr 29, 09

This story is bound to make any feminist--or any ration thinking person--angry. The story is about the Countess of Strathmore, a wealthy widow who was duped into marriage to a man who beat her, humiliated her, starved her and isolated her from her loved ones. With the help of some faithful servants, she escaped him, but the ensuing divorce hearing went on for years. It makes me angry to see how thoroughly men owned their wives back in those days, and how hard it was for women to leave bad situations--even when it was obvious to everyone how abusive the man was. There is a bittersweet ending--he goes to jail, she gets her property back, but her life is ruined. We've certainly come a long way, baby.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wedlock.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jean Godwin Carroll I'm wondering if the fact that the story's subject, which made you angry, influenced you to give it 2 stars? It was actually very well-written.

Lisa No, the fact that the story's subject made me angry did not influence my rating. I knew going in what the story was about, and if I avoided books that challenge me, I would not have picked this one up.

I read this so long ago that I went to Amazon and read an excerpt to try to remember why I only gave this two stars. Then it all came back. For me, it WAS the writing. While the author has an engaging and descriptive writing style, she continued to get caught up in extraneous details that detracted from what should have been a much more interesting narrative. I remember slogging through this book, eager to get to the end. Maybe it's not the writer's fault but the editor's. Maybe more artful editing--and more comprehensive editing--would have improved this book. But for me, it was a chore to finish, in spite of the interesting story at its core.