Michele's Reviews > Her Royal Spyness

Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

Apr 28, 2009

bookshelves: mystery, fiction, historical-fiction, my-personal-library
Read in April, 2009

Is it just me or is anyone else out there unreasonably attracted to cute book covers?

Most times my predilection for buying books based on cute covers comes back to bite me in the behind, but every once in a while I turn the last page feeling enormously pleased with myself.

This is one of those times.

Award-winning author Rhys Bowen - of Molly Murphy and Constable Evans fame - has hit a homerun with her newest mystery series, A Royal Spyness. Meet Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie. She is thirty-fourth in line for the throne of England, dead broke, and she will be the first to tell you that is not a desirable place to be, especially for a single gal in 1930s London.

But Georgie, as she's pragmatically shortened her name to, is nothing if not practical. She's blazing her own path by setting up her own housekeeping service (in disguise, of course), finding love with a completely unsuitable man, of course, spying on Wallis Simpson for the Queen, and solving the mystery of a dead man who turned up in her bathtub.

What follows is a lighthearted romp with minor royalty and the usual suspects lurking around every corner. It's simply delightful.

Don't expect a convoluted plot here, folks. This is simply a fun little mystery that's less about the mystery and more about the fun, eccentric characters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Royal Spyness.

Readstoomuch I checked this one out of the library just because of it's cute cover!! Glad to see that I'm not the only one. :) I love the covers for the Maisie Dobbs and Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher Mystery series too! I have made expensive mistakes buying because of covers, but these three series didn't disappoint!

Michele I'm a Maisie fan too! Haven't tried Greenwood's series, but am running to my library website right now! Thanks for the tip!