Sherri's Reviews > Hungry Monkey: A Food-Loving Father's Quest to Raise an Adventurous Eater

Hungry Monkey by Matthew Amster-Burton

1959413
May 18, 2009

bookshelves: adult-nonfiction, memoir
Recommended to Sherri by: Booklist Magazine Review
Recommended for: Julianna, Liz, Bill, Seth, Chip
Read in May, 2009

I loved Hungry Monkey because it gave me exactly what I needed—an attitude adjustment! I bought Hungry Monkey because I was looking for practical tips to help fulfill my summer 2009 goal of getting Katherine to try some new foods. While Amster-Burton did give me some great practical tips (like buy a electric frying pan and subscribe to a basic photo-filled food magazine like Everyday Food—both for Katherine), he made me lighten up. His stories made me laugh aloud, and inspired me to start having more fun with my kid and with food. I also appreciated his response to a few other food books I’ve read—like Super Baby Food and Michael Pollen’s Omnivore’s Dilemma. His commentary on these books is thoughtful and funny, as he sticks to his point that parents need to keep enjoying food!

One of my favorite quotes: "Getting along with a preschooler isn't always easy, but I can always say, 'Hey, let's take a step back and have a cookie,' and things will usually look better after that to both of us. Cookies however crumbly, are the unshakable ground between child and adult."

This was a really fun read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hungry Monkey.