sylvie's Reviews > My Abandonment

My Abandonment by Peter Rock

2034082
Apr 28, 09

Recommended to sylvie by: I found the subject interesting & the fact hat the novelis based
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This book absolutely grabbed me from beginning to end. I read MY ABANDONMENT in one sitting.

I have a difficult time describing my emotions about the story line, also the end had me wondering and still does. This short novel will linger with you. I can't give away much without spoiling the story line, I will try to address my impression.

Is it alright to live life outside society's acceptable behaviour as long as you do not infringe on anyone's rights? This question is asked of the reader.

Are people who live by guidelines drawn by society for the most part right?

Is it more important to follow one's dream rather than society's idea what your dream ought to be?

Those questions seem simple until you read this gem of a novel.

I grew up believing that life is short, life has to be lived to it's fullest doing what we like not what someone else wishes for us.

In this novel the protagonist Caroline finds herself overnight in a situation which does not conform to the norm, yet with time she finds a peace within. The story is told without being overly sentimental. There is no "happily ever after" rather a feeling of reality. By the end the author challenges the reader, I still am not sure what I want to believe, every reader will have to find his/her comfort zone with a certain issue. Would love to find someone who read this book so I can exchange some questions I have. Not to confuse anyone; the end is superbly wrapped up. The question I have is complex.

I will be putting this book on my BookMooch today so if you participate with this book exchange go and mooch it and get back to me after you read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Abandonment.