Lisa's Reviews > The Eyre Affair

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Sep 13, 09

bookshelves: adultfiction-womenwriters
Recommended to Lisa by: Lisa C
Recommended for: literature fans / english majors
Read in September, 2009

What a wonderfully wacky book for anyone who graduated with an English degree or loves to read classic fiction.

Thursday Next - strong female protagonist and literary detective living in an alternate England during 1985. Her father can travel through time and her uncle has designed a device that allows you to walk into a book as if it were reality.

A. Hades - the evil bad dude. He has some strange special powers that allude the literary police and his ruthless ways will not only change literature forever but perhaps cripple the industry of classic fiction.

Thursday is out to get Hades. A working knowledge of Jane Eyre and some of Dickens' work is useful to understand this book. Otherwise, you're head will hurt. This took me like forever to finally get into; but I LOVED it!! Thanks to Lisa C to loaned me a copy.

Wonderful!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyre Affair.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Ha! I just started this on Sunday, it's not exactly baking my cookies yet, but a friend who usually pegs what I likes recommended this.

Myrdin I really enjoy these books because of all the literary references, of course, you def. should read his nursery rhyme mysteries as well!