Rose's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Apr 28, 2009

bookshelves: 1001-books, about-love, read-in-2009
Read in April, 2009 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** It's a really good book with plot holes that I could drive a semi through.

While we're talking about driving, I'm not clear why Kath had to spend so much time driving all over the English countryside to care for her clients. Wouldn't it make more sense to have her stationary at one or two locations close together? This isn't, like, totally integral to the plot, but the author mentions it quite a few times. Seems like in a world that already allocates gobs of resources to rearing people's genetic matches, it's odd that they also allocate unrestricted petrol to these guys (yes, I said petrol, I've been reading in British voice for the last few days).

While I'm on the subject of plot holes, there was a big one Ishiguro stepped over - why didn't some/any/every clone realize that they were not tethered to Hailsham/Cottages/the centers and freakin' say no/leave/revolt/commit suicide? I realize that this book was not entirely about the logistics of the whole operation, and that's a strength of it! But this major logical flaw just needed to be addressed. In one way or another.

Other than that, the book was really good. I wasn't as impressed with the writing style so much as I was with the structure. Ishiguro kept me going through this book, and each event flowed nicely into the next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

04/28/2009 page 80