Steve Grant's Reviews > Imperial Grunts: On the Ground with the American Military, from Mongolia to the Philippines to Iraq and Beyond

Imperial Grunts by Robert D. Kaplan

Aug 31, 07

The vast net of US military commitments around the globe is largely invisible to the american taxpaying public - and Imperial Grunts does a good job of taking the reader on a tour of this world

I found myself reassured by what I read here - the military on display here is smart, quiet, adaptable, and effective. This is the way a global war against non-state actors needs to be fought.

But I found my enjoyment of this new world, and all its very important foreign policy implications, clouded by Kaplan's starry-eyes cryptofascist worship of military force as an instrument of foreign policy. Maybe I'm still irritated by his fanboy writeup of the B-2 in this months Atlantic, but there are times when Kapan gushed over military globalization the way Friedman gushes over economic globalization - which is to say breathlessly, unabashedly pro-globo... with the downside always conveniently omitted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperial Grunts.