Lord Beardsley's Reviews > The Complete Polysyllabic Spree

The Complete Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby

Sep 07, 07

bookshelves: read2007
Recommended for: not "people of letters"
Read in September, 2007

I read this book in one sitting. I'm a sucker for reading lists and talk about books in general. Nick Hornby writes in a wonderfully chatty, witty manner that makes this journal of his reading experiences hard to put down. This even made me consider reading David Copperfield and re-think the novel Housekeeping by Marilyn Robinson (you'll be shocked to hear that one Nate!). My only small criticism is the magazine The Believer...I've long been skeptical of magazines like The Believer and McSweeney's (magazines so painfully self-contious and leaking with hipster cum that I have been afraid to touch them in fear I may become pregnant with swoop-haired EMO devil babies). Apparently, he's not allowed to "slag" books by name. Now, I can see the point of this. If he was to fully slag a book and someone who may possibly enjoy it happened to read it and then decided not to...well...I see the point. But I feel that this also really impedes honesty. If something is revolting, say so! It's a bit of a let-down in that respect.

A random good quote from Mr. Hornby:

'Is the phrase 'Deliciously politically incorrect' used with the same gay abandon in the US? You come across it all the time here, and usually it means, quite simply, that a book or a movie or a TV programme is racist and/or sexist and/or homophobic; there is a certain kind of cultural commentator who mysteriously associates these prejudices with a Golden Age during which we were allowed to do lots of things that we are not allowed to do now. (The truth is that there's no one stopping them from doing anything. What they really object to is being recognized as the antisocial pigs they really are.)

Thank you, Mr. Hornby. I will pull this quote out the next time some swine tells me how much they like the show 'Weeds'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Polysyllabic Spree.