nicole's Reviews > Abortion and the Politics of Motherhood

Abortion and the Politics of Motherhood by Kristin Luker

Apr 28, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in January, 2004

Fascinating, upsetting, eye-opening look at how abortion effects WOMEN. Not just fetuses. Wish I could get my Dad to read this so that maybe he could view the pro-choice stance from a non-religious perspective and try to understand the politics surrounding abortion and what it has and does mean for women and their bodies. And what it means for a country that's supposed to promote equality. Because it's not just about abortion. It's about all of the other things you take control of when you try to control the right to choose. It's just amazing to see all this proof of how dangerous it is for women when there are laws prohibiting them from, literally, taking care of themselves, and I think it's incredibly important to read a non-emotional history of abortion laws and about the real life effects its had on women, about how cruel and invasive legislation has been. Doesn't mean the book will or should change your stance on abortion itself, but I think it's very much capable of opening people's eyes to the NEED for choice, and the struggle it's been for women to keep it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abortion and the Politics of Motherhood.