Miss Kim's Reviews > Watch Over Me

Watch Over Me by Lucy Monroe

Aug 25, 09

bookshelves: 2009, romantic-suspense, cops-military-bodyguards
Recommended for: Fans of the series
Read in August, 2009

Watch Over Me is an excellent installment into Lucy Monroe’s Mercenary/Goddard Project series. I found the last one lacking, but this one makes up for it. You can probably read this as a stand alone, even though previous characters are mentioned. There is enough detail given so that you don’t feel you are lacking any information.

Mykola is an INS agent turned security specialist (I know, just go with it), assigned to protect his sister Elle Grey, who we met in The Spy Who Wants Me. Elle is a security consultant at a large lab. One of the scientists, Lana, is working on some sort of cure for world hunger by splicing plants, experiments, etc. However a byproduct of her test is that she discovers lead can be turned into gold or even platinum with whatever she is doing. She doesn’t care; she is very focused on her plan. Through a planned leak in security, this info gets out to a drug lord. Well who wouldn’t want the formula to turn lead into gold? Both Elle, and Lana are in danger.

Myk takes over security and also finds and instant sizzling attraction to Dr. Lana. I loved Lana! She reminded me of Imogen from Erin McCarthy’s Hard and Fast with the way she had no filter and just said or asked any question that came to her mind. I also really liked Myk. He wants to fight his feelings that he is falling for Lana of course. In the process of protecting her from bad guys, dealing with family and friends, they become very close in the course of a week.

This one is predictable, but that is ok. I would recommend it for those looking for good relationships including steam, with light suspense. The man on the cover does not look like Mykola at all. In the book he is described as having longish hair, a goatee, two black stud earrings, and wears leather pants. Not that the man on the cover isn’t worth looking at, but he doesn’t project the appropriate bad boy image.

Also, the mercenaries Nitro and Hotwire from earlier in the series are featured.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watch Over Me.

08/24/2009 page 200
62.5% "Very good! So much better than the last in this series, "They Spy Who Wants Me""

message 1: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Sounds really good, Kim!
And yeah, that guy on the cover...he looks like "Brad" from "The Young & the Restless".:)

southpaw285 Great review, Kim. I've been debating on this one. You've helped me decide.

message 3: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn This sounds like something I'd enjoy. I started this series, then dropped it, but going to pick this one up. Thanks Kim.

Miss Kim There are a couple in the series that aren't that great, but I think it's a good one over all.

southpaw285 Kim,

Do you think they should be read in order?

message 6: by Shawna (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:02PM) (new) - added it

Shawna Great review, Kim! I kind of got bored with this series, especially when I read Jami Alden's "Gemini Men" series and liked it much better. But it sounds like I need to move this one up the TBR pile! :)

message 7: by Miss Kim (last edited Aug 27, 2009 05:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss Kim Southpaw, there is not an ongoing back story in these. However I'm a stickler for reading in order. You should read the Mercenary Men series in order, but the others could probably be read as stand alones.

Shawna, I liked the Gemini series as well. Alden has more meat to the suspense in her books. I recommend those as well.

message 8: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Kim, how steamy is this one?

Miss Kim It's not erotica, but I think it's pretty hot. I'd say it's comparable to Jo Davis's firefighter books.

message 10: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Thanks, Kim! It sounds a little more interesting than some of the previous "Goddard Project" books.

message 11: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Auntee that's it! I couldn't place the cover model but he does look like Brad from Y&R (lol!)

Sounds like a good one Kim!