Elizabeth's Reviews > The Martian Chronicles

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

I vividly remember reading this book. I was in 8th grade and I read it in Mrs. Zimmerman's class. She was this bizarre ageless woman who wore her jet-black hair in a crusty bee-hive and had gobs of pastel green eye shadow on her eyelids. She also had a rusty voice-like an ex-smoker, and spoke really slowly. She could have been a character in Martian Chronicles. I still kind of wonder if she was human.

Anyway, I read this book over and over. There was something so pristine about the world that Bradbury creates, and also incredibly odd and mysterious. As a writer, he kind of reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe.

Another thing about Bradbury, I heard him speak once in college and he said that he wrote this book from the UCLA library (he wasn't a student there), he just liked to hide out in the basement. He was super eccentric. I liked him immediately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian Chronicles.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sgs (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sgs I agree that Bradbury created an interesting yet mysterious world, but I wish that he would have elaborated more on one topic, and instead of writing all of the chronicles, focused on one person's experience.

Miriam It's not that he liked to hide in the basement, it is that there was recession and his family was too poor to afford him a college education.