Adarsh's Reviews > Big Bang: The Origin of the Universe

Big Bang by Simon Singh

Apr 30, 07

bookshelves: science
Recommended for: laymen interested in science
Read in April, 2007

It had been a long time since I read any science book. Big Bang by Simon Singh turned out to be such a refreshing read that I recommend it to anyone who is even mildly interested in science.

Simon Singh has the rare advantage of being both a scientist and a journalist. What impressed me most about this book is the simplicity of Singh's approach to explaining complicated concepts and theories. The book has a distinct historical perspective and story-telling narrative to it. You will not find obscure mathematical equations in this book. Notion, not notation.

I am also most impressed by the vast amount of background information that the author provides to the reader. There were so many scientific theories and facts that I had studied in high school and then promptly forgotten. All those came rushing back to me when reading this book. Simon Singh goes all the way back to the Greeks, but it is astounding how he manages to keep the chain of logic in tact, without veering too much off-topic.

The target audience of this book is the general public. Someone already familiar with the details of the Big Bang theory may not be too impressed with this book. Although a lot of historical perspective is provided, this book does not speak too much about the details of the theory itself. The ending also seems ubrupt.

Nevertheless, I strongly recommend reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Bang.

message 1: by Najeed (new)

Najeed Khan gimme your copy