Cary's Reviews > Birthright

Birthright by Phillip Finch

1956447
Jun 14, 2009

Read in June, 2009

Found it on the nightstand in my parents guestroom. It's been signed. I'll get the story on that from my mom. Interesting story so far.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a good story in a historical setting. That's always a hit with me. If a book can entertain and inform at the same time, I'm rapt.
This story was loosely connected to the California Gold rush but ended in the Silver State of Nevada. The principal actors in the story came to the Comstock Lode from different directions. I found myself fully invested in all their stories before their rendezvous was revealed.
I was reminded of my lasting impression of the difference between Oregon and California. Pioneers who chose the Oregon trail sought a fresh start but were prepared to work hard to realize their success. Those taking the southern fork were looking for a quick fortune or to take advantage of those who had.
It also reminded me of a 1980s obscure Charleton Heston movie called Mother Lode. In it Heston's character unnerves his rival with this line-"when you crawled down 40 feet of shaft, with sweat drippin' down your back, not knowing whether you'd get out or no........were you thinkin' about the girl..... or were you thinkin' about the gold?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthright.

04/27/2009 page 32