Cari's Reviews > Jane Boleyn: The True Story of the Infamous Lady Rochford

Jane Boleyn by Julia Fox

May 11, 09

bookshelves: history, 2009
Read in April, 2009

Too much conjecture, not enough fact. Despite the title, this book was more about Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard than Jane Boleyn, doing little more than tying Jane's whereabouts and functions to the more well-known figures around her. Nearly everything else about her as an individual is guessed by the author, who usually goes for the optimistic view of Jane as a pawn and leaves little room for the fact Jane might just have been a bad, if not somewhat dumb, human being. And, as many others have mentioned, despite in depth research, there just isn't much known about the personal life of Jane Boleyn, which put the author at a disadvantage from the start.

Still, a lack of resources and information is not an excuse for passing mere guesses off as historical fact. Too much "maybe," too little "we definitely known."

Despite the subject matter (the falls of Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard often make for some juicy reading), Fox's book was surprisingly dry in parts, and I often had to fight through certain chapters that did nothing to hold a reader's interest.

Not recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Boleyn.

04/27/2009 page 244

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniella (new)

Daniella Pity. Sounded like it would be good, but now I shall have to clear it off my to-read list.