Rachael's Reviews > Eclipse

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

Aug 31, 07

It was better than the first two--she's starting to improve as a writer.

With that said, it's still very definitely targeted towards teenage girls. Unlike, say, J.K. Rowling, who manages to appeal to a wide demographic. There's nothing wrong with writing to one particular audience, but in this case, I don't really think it's appropriate for that audience, since they're going to start daydreaming about having a boyfriend like the one described in this book. And let's face it, the characters in this book exhibit an unusual amount of self-control given the provocative situations they put themselves into. I just worry that this book will make lots of teenage girls believe that hey, it's okay if my boyfriend spends the night in my room...nothing will ever happen! Meyer does (sort of) address the issue of premarital sex, and the discussion ends nicely (with the characters restraining on moral grounds), but the rest of it is too unrealistic, in my opinion, for its impressionable young audience.

That's my main issue with this book. The story is interesting, the narrative style has improved, and the characters (except the main character, who I still don't like) are generally likeable and nicely fleshed out. It's definitely not a great book, but it's okay for a fluff read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eclipse.