Erin's Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Apr 27, 09

bookshelves: ya-lit
Read in April, 2009

Very moving, and it definitely made me tear up at the end--if you were in a horrible car accident and your family was killed, would you choose to stay or to go? It's a nearly impossible question to answer, but Forman does a good job of flashing back to 17-year old Mia's days with her family, her cello playing, and her cute, adoring alt-rocker boyfriend as she sees herself in the hospital having an out-of-body experience. The book is deliberately created to be manipulative, so I was expecting a weeper, but I was mostly dry-eyed until the end. It's still a tough (but not sappy or horribly depressing) read. I thought the parents were a little too YA novel perfect--hip, in a super-cool way (mom is a feminist former rock chick who curses, dad is a former band dude who becomes a teacher and smokes a pipe) but overall i enjoyed the characters. You don't get a lot of time to know them in 200 pages, but Forman makes them memorable. It's a nice book, and the last pages, where she is deciding whether to stay or go, are pretty powerful. Forman understands how to capture a teen girl's heart and the conflicting decisions that go along with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.

04/27/2009 page 100