Laurel's Reviews > A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive

May 03, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: non-fiction, psychology, memoir
Read in May, 2009

YIKES. This is a man's account of the severe abuse he suffered as a young child through the hands of his mother. Apparently, there is some doubt on whether the story is actually true, or whether the author merely made the whole thing up. I don't know enough about the controversy to speculate, so I will just give the author the benefit of the doubt and assume this is indeed a factual memoir of his childhood. If that is the case, then he most certainly deserves major admiration for having overcome such incredible adversities and for sharing his story.

That being said, this book is very poorly written. It is essentially just one description of one abusive incident after another, and nothing more. There's no real introspection, and no explanation as to how he later found forgiveness, or why the mother was once a kind, loving parent and suddenly one day just went completely mad. A book that describes overcoming any kind of extreme hardship, ending with a message about hope and the ability of the human spirit to triumph, can be both moving and inspiring. However, a book that merely describes abuse in vivid detail one scene after another and does little else? Just plain depressing.
22 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Child Called "It".

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Deysi Herrrera I don't agree with your review! I believe this is a great book and it is written well. If you want to find out why he forgave his mother at the end you should read "The Lost boy" because at the end of the book he explains that he forgave her but he didn't want to go back with her.

Laurel Oh well... we can agree to disagree. :) Thanks for the tip on his follow up book.

Bklynzcutii3 well yes its true we each have different mind thoughts but i have to say yes the book "a child called it" is like what umm stupid cause it jumps from one thing to another its like if it was all made up just to be sold . .but yeah read the "lost boy" it explains that the boy forgave his mother but he no longer wanted to live his life along her side. :) muahh bye enjoy and comment back to my rescrpition about the book . . thxs

Meagan I agreed with you about the lack of explanation when I first read it, but after reading it a few more times I think he hasn't tried to explain the change in his mother because he honestly doesn't know. I don't think, even now, he has any idea why this happened to him, and the best he could do was tell people about it ... which is, I think, the saddest part of the book

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra I agree with Meagan, this is his point of view of what happened to him as a child, he told what he knew, how is he to tell the side that he doesn't know?

Ursela I think you may like "In Shadow and Strength" by Beth Louise. It shares specific memories from an abusive childhood in a way that is very beleivable. I loved it. I got eBook at Barnes&Noble.com.

message 3: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Dennie What you need to know, is he made several books and you see how he finally found forgiveness in his mother

Jaime For those who don't know, there are two more books that go with this. He tells more in the other books.

message 1: by Adetokunbo (new)

Adetokunbo Ademakinwa This is a wonderful book and a must read. I am kind of dissapointed that he lost his trust in God more than once but in the end im almost positive that dave found God again. This book has details thay you can't even imagine. How she beats him and how she tourtures him is so sad. This is a great book but get ready to experence what he went through.