Michelle's Reviews > Jewels of the Sun

Jewels of the Sun by Nora Roberts

Apr 27, 09

Read in April, 2009

I'm not a Nora Roberts fan, but I do love this trilogy. It really captures the mood of Ireland (at least as we in the states like to imagine it is), all cozy, with alternating rain and brilliant sunlight, ancient ruins, bright flowers, and lots of hot tea. The Gallagher pub in this story makes me sad that it is mythical and I can't visit it, populated as it is by interesting, friendly people that can go from laughing to shouting to fighting and back to dancing within minutes. What a lovely world this novel is set in.

It also functions as perfect escapist literature for women who would love to imagine leaving their lives, moving to a beautiful cottage in Ireland where they find friends, family, meaningful work and a drop-dead-gorgeous Irishman who treats them like a queen.

The only thing that marred the guilty pleasure of reading this novel was the main character, who was so focused on finding herself that she didn't even seem interested in the male lead character, except for sex. Also, just because she was finding her self-esteem didn't mean she had to treat that guy like such crap. I found her whiny, neurotic, and annoying, in direct contrast to all the other great characters in this book.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jewels of the Sun.