Beejay's Reviews > Dear Fatty

Dear Fatty by Dawn French

May 22, 09

Read in May, 2009

Dawn French is such a delightful character, and most of her book is a delight. The pity is that there is just too much of it.

While for the most part the book is witty and entertaining - which of course a life cannot always be - there are times when the letters begin to ramble, to just simply bang on too much, or even to become a tad maudlin. When you are 50 or so pages from finishing a book and you just wish that it would hurry up and end, or get to the punchline, then you know the editor hasn't done his/her job properly and little bit of trimming would have been in order.

Who was that oh-so-clever French designer who said that when you think you are all ready to go out and present yourself to the world you should look in the mirror and then remove one thing, and only then are you truly ready? Whoever it was, I just wish Dawn French could have done that - just looked in the mirror and removed one thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Fatty.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy Ooh, I have this, Todd bought it for my birthday, can't wait to hear what you think about it.

Beejay Hi Mandy,

I'm loving it. It's written as a series of letters to people who are/have been important in her life, including people like Peter Tork (from the Monkees) and David Cassidy (the Partridge Family), so that puts her right in my comfort zone, except for me it would have been a letter to Mike Nesbitt, not Peter Tork.

Anyway, it's just lovely, self-mocking and seemingly very honest. Will keep you posted.

TTFN,
B

message 3: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy Excellent, it sounds good so far. Not sure when I'll get to it though, so many books to read, hopefully before the end of the year.

I got "The Great World" delivered today, can't wait to jump into that one knowing it's one of your favs.