Penny's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

F_50x66
Feb 19, 13

I was hestitant to read this for quite the funny reason. Back when I was a newlywed I took a communications class so I could be at school with my husband when he was taking night classes. In the communications class we did one of those what if scenarios where we had a lifeboat with room for 8 people but we had 11 people (or something like that). We had to decide which people to 'allow' to survive by keeping the people who we thought would make the most positive and useful contributions. I have had that exercise come to mind lately and have come to the painful realization that I have reached an age where I would most likely be voted off the lifeboat.

This book brought out some interesting (though not novel) points about survival and human nature but I really didn't like it very much. There were times I wanted to volunteer to jump off of the lifeboat!

If I ever found myself in such a situation I would hope to find myself in the company of people who shared my beliefs in an afterlife so that the difficulty of sacrificing for someone else would be preferable to being selfish and surviving but having to utltimately answer for our selfishness. But---there is a way we like to think we would react in certain situations and then there's reality---the book touched on this...

My main problem with the book was I didn't really like the main character. I felt like when all was said and done she wasn't really changed by her experiences in the ways one would think or hope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.