Liz's Reviews > Charmed Thirds

Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty

May 01, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in May, 2009

I am still a devoted fan of Jessica and Marcus, but this book was a bit of a let down. Charmed Thirds follows Jessica's entire collegiate experience. She has matured, but she isn't quite as likable and witty in this book as she was in both Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings.

I also feel as though many of the secondary characters in this book weren't as developed as those in the first two novels of this series. Many people come in and out of Jessica's life, but I didn't feel any sort of attachment,connection, or utter contempt toward any of them. It seems as though Ms. McCafferty gleans through Jessica's college experience rather than giving the reader the details needed to let us feel a true connection with Jessica and her peers.

On the upside, I did enjoy seeing more of Bethany, Jessica's wealthy older sister. She is one character that I wouldn't mind seeing more of in the last two novels of this series as Ms. McCafferty has made her much more easy to relate to and a good bit less irritating in Charmed Thirds.

Though I didn't devour this book like the others I've read in this series, I did enjoy it. I will undoubtedly finish this series in the very near future. Even though I wasn't bowled over by this book, I am still "charmed" by the ever developing and moderately confusing relationship between Jessica Darling and Marcus Flutie.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charmed Thirds.

04/29/2009 page 64

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jody Wow! Look at those critical analysis chops! Excellent critique of the book. I'm going to have to step up.

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Thanks, Jody. You must fit this series into your summer reads even though it's your "summer of classics".