Natalie's Reviews > One Hundred Years of Solitude

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Aug 31, 07

Read in January, 2004

Maybe I didn't get it. I feel slightly ashamed to give such a beloved classic three stars. But I almost gave it two stars.

To me this book was a long, rambling, chronicle of a family. Aaand... thats pretty much it. The story seemed like it was being made up as it went along, I didn't really care about any of the characters, and I didn't learn or feel anything profound.

It was a few years ago that I read it so it's not fresh in my mind. But sometimes I think time validates my opinion. When years later you still remember the joy, or the lesson, or great emotional impact a book gives you, it means for you, it was a really good book. Some of my favorite books are ones that moved me most after I had some time away from them.

I do remember being fond of this one tough old lady who lived on almost throughout the whole story. Can't remember her (or anyone's) name. Her husband went crazy towards the start of the book though and was tied to a tree for awhile or something.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Years of Solitude.