Michelle's Reviews > Farside

Farside by Ben Bova

Feb 19, 13

Read on February 19, 2013

I do not understand the high marks this book seems to be getting. I had forgotten my Ban on Bova when I put this book on hold at the library. But when faced with two-page chapters and nearly more white space than prose, it all came back to me. Once again, this is a novel that should have been marketed as a novella. Each chapter is at most four pages (and most are around two), which is intensely irritating. The story is a run-of-the-mill moon adventure, and frankly I've read better prose by people self-publishing on Amazon.

But what irritates me almost beyond reason is the characters who seem to come straight out of a 1950s pulp novel. The main female character, an accomplished astronomer, on meeting a fellow traveler to the far side of the moon, has only one thought: "He's an Adonis!" And later, when this man, of course, seduces her because she, of course, has terribly low self-esteem because: girl scientist, and then snubs her at a meeting, she wonders whether she "was hot enough in bed." OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Everyone is first described by their looks: the women of course by chest size and the men by degree of dashingness. This has no place in today's SF.

If I ever decide to read another of this man's books, somebody please kick me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farside.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mirek Ha. I have my own "ban on Bova". Started reading this book only because of hot topic of exoplanets.

I think that Bova have never been hit on by a woman. His female characters and male/female interactions are just bizarre.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads This was my first Bova, and probably my last.

message 3: by Joe (new) - rated it 1 star

Joe Was going to write my own review but no need, you have aptly described it's terribleness.

Will add that also the ideas are very 1970s. Like just by mentioning nanotechnology (but without an original idea in the book) we're supposed to be all impressed? PUH-leeze.

message 4: by Rose Ann (new)

Rose Ann Michelle, you are my hero. Thank you for sparing me the ordeal of reading this book, which I have just requested at the library. I will now go back and cancel it.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Good choice, Rose Ann!

The Fza Michelle, I have agree withe Joe, you saved me the need to write a review on this terrible book as you were so succinct.

I have very rarely read a book where a writer missed more opportunities, turning an excellent concept into a string of mediocre motifs. This book could have been clever and fun but Bova made it shallow and offensive.

I did not have a 'Ban on Bova' as this was my first book by the author (and I use that term loosely) but if this is what he thinks of as a good book, not to mention of women in 2013, I can never go through the heartache of read anything by him again!

message 7: by Rose Ann (new)

Rose Ann "I never thought I would find a woman hating SF equivalent of Dan Brown until I read Bova." -- Please get out of my brain! You are so right!

The Fza Haha! Great minds... have the same opinion of Ben Bova =]

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Rose Ann wrote: ""I never thought I would find a woman hating SF equivalent of Dan Brown until I read Bova." -- Please get out of my brain! You are so right!"

That is a truly great line.

message 10: by Mike (new) - rated it 1 star

Mike Howells So true, and the blokes are all out to be Top Dog yet seem to have the IQ of a small gerbil. So sad. Bova is banned here too.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads "IQ of a small gerbil."

Snort!

message 12: by Mirek (new) - rated it 1 star

Mirek Average rating just keeps dropping and is now just slightly above 3. He he

The Fza It's to be expected, it is not a good book. Though many 'bad books' have gained popularity... Don't get me started on Dan Brown!

Michelle Dan Brown is #1 on my banned list. NEVER.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads I started one once, and abandoned, because I was bored. (A bad sign for a "thriller.")

Sandra Barret Agree with the thread. Wish I'd read the review before I started this book!