[Name Redacted]'s Reviews > The Book of Three

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander

Aug 30, 2007

bookshelves: classics, children, epic-fantasy, fantasy, high-fantasy, mythology, young-adult
Read on May 16, 2011

A childhood favorite which remains one of the most wonderful books I've ever read.

Part of what makes it so engaging is the unconventional nature of the protagonists, all of whom are defined as much by the faults as by their virtues: Taran, far from being a "Marty Stu", is infuriatingly impetuous, hotheaded, and stubborn (a character so well-defined that until others pointed it out, i never noticed that his appearance was never described); Eilonwy, far from being a "Mary Sue", is scatterbrained, tempermental, and acid-tongued; Gurgi, far from being a poor-man's Gollum, channels the ancient myth of the Gruagach mingled with Enkidu and is trapped between man and beast, unable to truly relate to either; Fflewddur Fflam is addicted to exaggeration and a near-failure at his chosen profession; Doli is foul-tempered and sarcastic; so are all the heroes and so we feel them fully-developed people in their own right rather than simple author (or reader) self-insertion/wish-fulfillment. We follow them in their adventures because we care about them and rejoice as they succeed despite their faults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Three.

Quotes [Name Redacted] Liked

Lloyd Alexander
“Most of us are called on to perform tasks far beyond what we can do. Our capabilities seldom match our aspirations, and we are often woefully unprepared. To this extent, we are all Assistant Pig-Keepers at heart.”
Lloyd Alexander, The Book of Three