Eric's Reviews > Supreme Courtship

Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley

Apr 30, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: books-from-library, fiction, humor, satire
Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I'm finally caught up with my Christopher Buckley, with his fiction at least. I liked this book well enough, but found it just a tad subpar compared to Boomsday or Thank You For Smoking. It lacked the wonderfully cynical point of view contained in his other novels. I guess I now know what I like most about Buckley's work.

That being said, the book was quite funny at times, especially Pepper's first oral argument as a Superme Court justice, and I did like the plot. I love the idea of a president determined to avoid a second term, who governs with no regard to political considerations or poll numbers or his relationship with Congress. I thought Congress's response, passing the amendment limiting presidents to one term, was too unrealistic, as was the constitutional crisis at the end. Did no one think to mention that regardless of the President's legal standing to a second term, that the runner-up was not legally due to take the office? The runner-up lost, after all, so legally speaking, no one was entitled to the office. Yet this basic point was never made.

I also felt the book was a bit rushed. It was shorter than his past efforts, and the characters weren't quite as developed as they normally are.

Overall, a fine novel, but not his best, and not indicative of the quality of his previous books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supreme Courtship.