Eileen Souza's Reviews > Galway Bay

Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly

May 07, 09

bookshelves: europe, historical-fiction
Read in May, 2009

This was a very very good book about the Great Starvation (known to Americans as the potato famine)and the process of emigrating to the US. It's also a story about family, and survival. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only reason it did not receive 5 stars was because although I rushed to finish it to the end, and felt a good sense of satisfaction when I finished it, it did not leave me thinking about it for days afterwards, wondering what happened to the characters. It's hard to get 5 stars in my world!

I found this book most interesting because it allowed me to look at the potato famine and occupation of Ireland in a way that I hadn't been able to see before. Although I had heard my whole life the "fact" that the British had been trying to kill off the Irish for generations, this book allowed me to see some of the actual grimness of their lives, and the absolute lack of control that they had, told through the eyes of a family that experienced them on a daily basis. It was a good supplement to the stories that I heard from my family about that time.

This book would be an enjoyable read for any and all- and I will definitely be reading it again! - Eibhlin Maire O'Dochartaigh
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galway Bay.