Felicia A's Reviews > Story of O

Story of O by Pauline Réage

Apr 29, 09

Read in April, 2009

Bleh. Bleh. Bleh.

I didn't care about anyone in this story, not even the tortured "slave", O. She wanted to be treated that way and got off on it, so how can one feel sorry for her. But I don't think feeling sorry for her was the point....I think the point was supposed to be "erotic". It wasn't. It was totally like watching a movie through a smoke screen - distant and unconnected from the story.

And the terms the author used to describe sexual acts:

"she caressed her for hours" referred to O's relationship with another woman

"he took her fore and aft" referred to both vaginal and anal sex

"he moved until he discharged into her orifice" BJ

Ugh. Not that I want a foul mouthed, no holds barred book to read that describes sex acts in such great detail, but come ON. I know, I know, it was written a long, long time ago, before I was even born.

Honestly, I only read this book because it was mentioned in Perfect Victim as the methodology behind that the kidnapper/torturer did to the victim he kidnapped. He used this book as his "manual". Honestly, this book has so few details about HOW to enslave someone, that I don't know how he even took THIS book as his guidance.

I think that to enjoy this book you have to really, really be into SM/BDSM and understand the thinking behind WHY someone would want to either enslave someone or be enslaved and be OK with it. I'm not and would never be.

And what's up with the suppressed chapter??? The book just ends in the middle of a scene with no conclusion, no ending, no nothing.

Bleh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story of O.

message 1: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger Hey- I didn't even know you had this one! When did you start? Are you far enough in to say anything about liking it yet? Do you have the one with the suppressed chapter? I know, I know...enough questions! LOL

Felicia A I just got it. It showed up on my wishlist on one of the days that the RSS feed worked, LOL. Like it? I don't know. It kind of just starts in the middle of something that we know nothing about, and I am very detached from anyone in it. It's like watching a movie through a shroud or something. I can't bring myslef to care about this woman or anything that is happening to her or around her. It's disjointed and wierd. In addition to that, I think you have to have an interest in or care about BDSM/SM whatever, to care about this story.

The only reason I am reading it at all is because it was mentioned in the book about the girl in the box (Perfect Victim?) that it was the inspiration behind why the guy did to her what he did. But the girl in the box was kidnapped, tortured and brainwashed; this girl wants this lifestyle. I think. Can't figure that out yet.

message 3: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger Oh wow- I got it because of a conversation with someone else on here I think. I've had it for awhile and just not gotten to it. I know there is another that goes with it- maybe it comes before it? That might explain it starting in the middle I suppose.
I didn't know the link between the criminal in the true crime but I probably would have started it after reading that also. Wow- imagine having written a book that someone took that literal and then forced those actions on a victim? Even though she never expected that to happen I'm sure- most people would probably have some feelings of guilt. I know I would.
I already knew the premise to the book but can't say I'm particularly interested in it. LOL
I'll be watching the updates!

message 4: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger I just went to her page and there are two other books under her name but her bio claims that this is the only one written by her.
"The Story of O part II and Return to the Chateau, much inferior in both erotic intent and writing were"-
it's cut off there but I'm going to try to find the rest of that interview. If only to find out if it's true, should be on her bio, and what else there is to say.

Felicia A I forgot to say, yes, I have the one with the suppressed paragraph. I didn't know there were any others, but no, I don't think I would be interested. I will barely be able to plough through this one.

message 6: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger Huh...a suppressed paragraph huh? LOL I thought it was a chapter- a whole chapter kind of makes me feel like I'm missing something extreme in my book because I don't think I have it in mine but a paragraph I think I can live with.
I do wish that wasn't cut off like that though- how annoying is that?

Felicia A Actually, I think it is a chapter, I just wrote it wrong.

message 8: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger Oh- thanks for telling me. I don't even know when I'll get to it- if ever. I want to eventually though but I doubt I'll like it enough to go hunting for the other chapter.
I had no idea the others under name weren't really written by her. I hate that- I feel misled. I'm glad I didn't get them.
I'm going to get my glasses soon so I'll be able to see again! LOL I'll be on-line more because I'll be able to see normally with everything not all off balance!

Felicia A Don't bother.

message 10: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger Ugh...I can tell just by what you're saying and I won't bother! LOL

message 11: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger I love your review! The lines you added cleared everything up for me very quickly. While I agree that the wording, if done like "usual", would have been vulgar- this is just too strange.
I don't think I'll even be able to finish so pat yourself on the back! I'll still probably try one day but I tink this will be sitting around collecting dust for awhile!

Felicia A Bleh. Put it on bookmooch, LOL. That's what I am about to do.