Brian Hodges's Reviews > When You Are Engulfed in Flames

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

Oct 30, 10

bookshelves: stories, non-fiction, humor
Read in May, 2009

I wasn't a fan of Sedaris' "Barrel Fever" and had pretty much given up on him as an author, figuring I just wasn't hip enough to "get it." But I saw this at the library in audio book format and figured I'd give him another shot. And I'm really glad I did because this collection of essays is absolutely hysterical. It did occasionally tread into the self-indulgent realm... then again it touched into the realm of brilliance at times too. But I often found myself laughing out loud picturing this meek little man arguing with himself about whether or not to pick a cough drop out of the crotch of a lady sitting next to him on a plane... or taking the time to scan newspapers for odd stories just so he'll have interesting ice-breakers and trying to figure out a way to insert them into the conversations.

If you have the ability, I recommend picking up the audio version. I think Sedaris's reading gives it an extra punch, especially the essays that he reads in front of an audience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Are Engulfed in Flames.