Becky's Reviews > Jenny

Jenny by Calvin Innes

Feb 18, 13

bookshelves: childrens
Read on February 18, 2013

I can see why my 9 year old daughter enjoyed reading this scary Twisted Tale, she can relate to the heroine Jenny: "She doesn't wear dresses, or have long flowing curls". Instead she is an 8 year old werewolf hunter!

With its short snappy rhymes and quirky illustrations this is a quick read for an accomplished reader or an undaunting book for more reluctant ones. It's the longest in the Twisted Tales series but the 79 pages don't include that many words.

A slightly scary but not really frightening book it's great for tween readers who want an exciting read but not one that will give them nightmares. The werewolf looks pretty menacing in the illustrations but he gets his comeuppance at the hands of the heroine.

Lots of children imagine that they can hunt and defeat evil creatures and Jenny makes a good heroine. My daughter enjoyed reading the story out loud to her 6 year old brother. He seemed to be an avid listener so must have enjoyed it too.

The trademark ink spots and typeface are once again in this book alongside the monochrome illustrations. I'm sure this will be on our bookshelf for some time to come.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jenny.