Becky's Reviews > Pale Henry

Pale Henry by Calvin Innes

Feb 18, 13

bookshelves: childrens
Read on February 18, 2013

I was sent these Twisted Tales to review with my 9 year old. Her initial reaction was that they were boy books based on their covers. However once she actually opened them and read them she loved them!

This story is about a boy too scared to go outside so he hides away in the loft. Because of this he is "haggard and thin, and as white as a sheet". The story is written in rhyme and it looks like it has been written on an old fashioned typewriter so it's uneven and has quirky type on the second o in words.

The illustrations are simple black and white cartoons which set off the words nicely. If you've seen Calvin's work before then you'll recognise his style with big eyes and exaggerated features.

The story shows how staying inside makes you unhealthy but by facing his fears and going outside Henry becomes fitter and healthier. However he does still want to stay in sometimes and that's OK too.

Twisted Tales are aimed at reluctant readers which doesn't apply to my daughter. There is enough text on each page to tell the story without being off-putting. I quite enjoyed reading it myself!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pale Henry.