Sarah Sammis's Reviews > Kitten's First Full Moon

Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes

Jul 06, 09

bookshelves: pc, read-in-2009
Read in July, 2009

Kittens First Full Moon is written and illustrated by Kevin Henkes and is a Caldecott Medal Winner (2005). In black and white line drawings it tells the story of a young kitten out to explore during a full moon. Unfortunately for the young cat the moon looks like a big bowl of cream.

The illustrations are done in the style of a graphic novel or manga. They are bold, expressive and could easily carry the story without the text. Sometimes my daughter just likes to leaf through the book to admire the artwork without having me read the book to her.

Kittens First Full Moon is the perfect book for a night time read when we don't have time to read a book to each child. It has the adventure elements that my son enjoys and it has an adorable kitten for Harriet. This book is one that both kids picked out together and it continues to delight them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitten's First Full Moon.

Becca This is one of my favorite children's books. I read it all the time to my pre-k students. I can't say I ever thought of the illustrations being similar to graphic novels or manga, but they are great illustrations.

Ronyell Great review!! I really enjoyed this book too!!