Erica's Reviews > Little, Big

Little, Big by John Crowley

Oct 14, 07

Read in October, 2007

I read the last 20 or so pages of this late at night, half-asleep which puts your mind in the same state as the characters (characters getting lost in the woods, forgetting who they are, talking to animals - more in line with the fuzzy dreaming brain). Everything in the book was leading up to those last few pages. The Tale! When will it end!? What will happen to justify all these whispered anticipations for it?

After seeing reviews of the book on here, I picked it up with great anticipation. Magical Realism, I thought, my kind of genre. There is magic in it, but it's so murky, just as it is for the characters. I kept wondering if there was some metaphor to the events. By the end, I didn't know any better. There's a war being fought, but we don't see it and it doesn't last and it might not even have happened and the reasons for it are barely mentioned. Gar! That's too damn subtle! And a tangent about a president - an emperor who's somehow like a president and somehow not but we never visit the real world long enough to find out! The pieces of this puzzle are lovely and striking, but what does the finished product look like? A banquet in the woods? Why does this end for the characters have special meaning? It doesn't satisfy. Am I supposed to know something about gnosticism, as a previous reviewer mentioned? Where's the punch? What does it all mean!?!?! Haha.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little, Big.