Chris Schaeffer's Reviews > Hideaway

Hideaway by Dean Koontz

Apr 25, 2009

liked it
Read in May, 2009

Hideaway by Dean Koontz was published in 1992, but I'm just now getting around to reading all the great books by Mr. Koontz I've been missing out on. The last Koontz book I read was The Taking and I was greatly surprised at the drastic difference between novels.

While Hideaway was full of underlying themes and an overriding purpose, it felt more like a muted suspense/horror film that was trying to get away with a PG-13 rating.

I'm a fan of blood and gore and I was disappointed that Mr. Koontz pulled the reader back rather than exploring the vivid horror scenes that were happening throughout the novel.

I'm a believer that the raw details of life are what make characters real. If I wanted a synopsis I'd go watch the movie. I'm reading the book because I want to know the real story. I have not read all of Mr. Koontz's books, but I was kind of hoping for a little more grit and less skimming.

And finally, I have to mention that I didn't really start liking the book until towards the end. It took about half the book for us to learn just how demented our antagonist really is and by the time that fact was established, the resolution was closing in fast. I would have enjoyed a little less buildup and a little more detailed exploration.

Overall, I enjoyed Hideaway and I'll be trying out another Dean Koontz novel soon, but I hope he doesn't spare the horror in place of the suspense. If I want suspense, I'll read slower.

Book review: http://bookologists.com/?p=233

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hideaway.

04/25/2009 page 1