Justin's Reviews > A Home at the End of the World

A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham

Apr 30, 09

Read in April, 2009

For me, this book was a case of what-ifs and wasted potential. I really liked the beginning part about Bobby and Jonathan in their youth. By the time they both moved to New York City, it took a turn for the worse. A lot of that can be contributed to the character of Clare, who was incredibly unlikable - a shallow, cynical, hipster type. Suddenly, after not even appearing until over 100 pages in, she took on a key role in the narrative. The story moved on well enough with her, but I couldn't stop thinking about how it could have been better without her or at least with her role minimized. I would have liked the space given to her to have been used better fleshing out Bobby, Jonathan and Alice.

The alternating viewpoints were interesting, but again I wonder if it would not have been better from a constant third person narrative or even telling the entire story through just one of the characters (Bobby or Jonathan).

So, overall I liked the book, it just didn't live up to its strong start.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Home at the End of the World.

04/25/2009 page 136
38.64% "Really liking it so far"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ellen Keim I agree with you about Clare. If the author was going to make her such an important character, he should have given us more background, like he did with Bobby and Jonathan. I also agree that the first part of the book was the best.

Vonaire Agreed about Clare....I found her rather unlikeable as well.