David's Reviews > You Can Heal Your Life

You Can Heal Your Life by Louise L. Hay

M_50x66
Nov 12, 12

Read in April, 2009

I listened to this book as an audiobook of CDs. I only made it through the first disc before deciding it was not for me. At first it seemed to make some sense, that we poison ourselves with toxic thoughts, but then the author (who was also the narrator, I believe) started going off with platitudes, too many of which I took issue with. For example, she implied that studying history was irrelevant and that we should instead teach our children about how our minds work, psychologically speaking. Not a bad idea to examine what we teach our children, but at the exclusion of history? It just wasn't for me, as I said.....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Can Heal Your Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leigh Ann Wilson, Ph.D. I agree with your issue regarding her take on history. As a professional historian, it is difficult for me to put much faith in a person who claims to have such a profound interest in human nature, yet cares nothing about how it has evolved. Well stated.

Gretchen I recall reading that she said we should learn how our minds work as well as nutrition, managing our finances etc 'alongside' our regular curriculum? She did say what was the point in remembering 'exact' dates which frankly is fair enough but I dont believe she recommended excluding history all together?

Emma Bafford Like Gretchen said, Louise was saying it is more important that children learn about loving themselves, raising children, having a healthy relationship with money, etc, than history about DATES of war. Frankly, there are a lot of details which children are forced to memorize at school which, in the grand scheme of things, are completely pointless.

message 4: by Rayan (new) - added it

Rayan i agree with emma and gretchen.
lets not generalize certain concepts. by saying History, she is referring to dates and boring unimportant details.

message 5: by Rayan (new) - added it

Rayan i agree with emma and gretchen.

M'sheArt2 The present moment will always be more relevant then history, especially since man is always re writing it to suit his purposes.