Joselle173's Reviews > Soon: The Beginning of the End

U 50x66
Apr 28, 09

bookshelves: did-not-finish
Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I enjoy apocalyptic lit, and really enjoyed the Left Behind series, also by this author. But I just couldn't get into this book, so I stopped reading it. I think it lost me after the main character "Paul"'s conversion to Christianity, which seemed to come so early in the book. He really didn't put up much of a fight. Even I couldn't buy it, and I'm a die-hard Christian. Am I really to believe that Paul, who loathed, hated, despised Christians, who shot several dead, who watched one bludgeoned to death would, after listening to contraband CDs of the New Testament, start to "wonder" about the faith and shortly thereafter convert? I even tried getting past that, but when the next part of the book goes on to how Paul is trusted to join the underground Christian movement (penalty is death if they're found out)......that they include him knowing he's a recent convert and hasn't had to test his faith, that he's a part of the organization that hunts down and persecutes Christians (sort of like the real New Testament "Paul"), that they would jeopardize themselves in that way? I can be a forgiving reader, but sorry, but this was a bit of a stretch, even for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soon.

message 1: by Dennyj (new)

Dennyj This review really hits home for me. I'm at chapter 16 and not sure if I will waste my time to finish to the last chapter.
I don't understand how the ( underground Christian Movement) would jeopardize their very lives to let Paul join their organization. Paul at this point is very wishy washy lukewarm on the fence killing their own commrades and still has zero conviction. No logic here at all. It also bothers me that Paul has been shown many miracles, his own fathers faith written in ink by letter and proven, and has had his eyesight restored by a simple and feeble outcry in a time of desparation and fear.
Everyday Christians are tested and challenged daily sometimes with no resolve or result, but by faith alone they still believe and carry their faith to the end, sometimes they feel alone, their prayers unanswered, and echoed back empty. Has God turned his back on me? They persevere and believe it's not so, and not his time and not my time as of yet.
And their faith is never weakened or broken and they give comfort that he is still there and listening.
Paul is given everything on a silver platter, he's a crappy little man who cheats on his wife, who kills and does much damage.
Reading this book at chapter 16 makes me angry with the Author Jerry Jenkins.
Those who are new with their walk with Jesus may feel discouraged and unheard when they ask and do not receive at first without the knowledge that there is a plan for them maybe later, therefore losing faith altogether and in the end, forever. A shame, a lost opportunity for those that could have been saved.