Sandy's Reviews > Mighty Monty: More First-Grade Adventures

Mighty Monty by Johanna Hurwitz

Apr 25, 09

bookshelves: juvenile-fiction, easy-chapter-books
Read in April, 2009

Part II of my quest for easy chapter books with boy protagonists. The book was sweet enough I guess. Monty is a first grader with asthma and a massive case of stage fright. What really bothers me about this story is that Monty's parents, especially his mother, are not encouraging. Largely because of his parents influence, Monty is a kid who doesn't overcome his asthma; he simply mopes about the limitations it sets on him. Yes, he has asthma, but not everyone with asthma needs to avoid sports of any kind and the story never states that Monty's asthma is particularly severe. This could be incredibly misleading for those who don't know anything about asthma, or confusing for those who do. Even worse, Monty's parents also tend to give in to him when he becomes nervous, rather than encouraging him to do his best. This bothered me a lot.

While there are themes that run throughout the story, there's isn't really a unifying plot. Each chapter could stand well enough on its own as a short vignette.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mighty Monty.