Steph (Reviewer X)'s Reviews > Psych Major Syndrome

Psych Major Syndrome by Alicia Thompson

Apr 25, 09

bookshelves: to-be-reviewed, blog-already-read
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

Why doesn't goodreads allow us to do half stars? Seriously, asking this has become a cliché and yet nothing is done to solve it.

Anyway, I'd give this 3.5 stars (a B-/C+), and I absolutely mean that in a good way because I read this in one sitting and really enjoyed it. I'd give it four stars because up until the ending, I thought it was a very good light romance read with a character who's very aware of herself and THERE, as opposed to being an Everygirl and a developed hero and antihero who were both compelling in their own right.

The ending was a bit too cheesy for a novel that had common tropes like hippie/offbeat parents who name their children strange names and like taking pictures of their auras, not detract from the story. The main character made note of these things in passing, which made it not be a total device. But then we get to the end and it's like all the restraint the book exerted to not be sickly sweet went out the window and it just Had To Express Itself.

Which isn't something I mind myself because I love light, fun, (somewhat exaggerated) romance books. I thought there was a lot of potential for it to stand out from a crowded genre, and that charging $16 to read it is robbery when anyone can get their fix with the Simon Pulse ro-coms for $7 until this is out in paperback.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Psych Major Syndrome.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Taylor I can see what you're saying about the ending, but I still went with it all the way. I especially appreciated the time she took in building the relationships slowly (toward their rise and/or fall). What I could have done without was the crazy parents. I felt like, if she'd had normal parents the story wouldn't have been very different.

I did really enjoy this book, though!