J.M.'s Reviews > Redneck Boy in the Promised Land: The Confessions of "Crazy Cooter"

Redneck Boy in the Promised Land by Ben Jones

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction, memoirs
Read from August 05 to 10, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting to read about the early life of Ben Jones, AKA "Crazy Cooter" on THE DUKES OF HAZZARD, and how he went from hardscrabble to Hollywood to Congress. I grew up on the Dukes and this inside look into the real life of someone I used to watch on television as a kid really resonated with me. It doesn't hurt that Jones has a natural flair for storytelling and an easy way with words. His writing style made even the most difficult parts of the book readable ~ his hard-drinking days, the fights he used to get in, the times he spent in jail. I was afraid the political aspect of the book would be hard to stomach (I'm not a fan of politics), but Jones thinks along the same lines I do and that only made me like him more.

I appreciated his candor and his humor. Reading this felt like I was sitting beside him on a porch in the last light of a summer day, listening to him spin stories of his life. I recommend this to anyone interested in memoirs, not just Dukes fans.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redneck Boy in the Promised Land.