Stef's Reviews > The Terminal Man

The Terminal Man by Michael Crichton

The Terminal Man isn't as polished as Michael Crichton's later works but it's still got that special spark of his, and the trademark geek talk/science fiction/techo thriller suspense formula is also in effect, which makes it a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Interestingly enough the plot doesn't come across as especially dated, despite having been written in the early '70s and taking place at the same time. It almost passes for a contemporary work for most of the book, until the very last chapters where Crichton goes more in-depth and writes about the computers of the day (large, monstrous beasts that cost millions and consisted of towers that took up entire rooms).

The characters are well rounded and likable, especially Janet Ross; I usually prefer to read books with male protagonists, simply because most of the authors that frequent my favorite genres are men, and 98% of them can't write a female protagonist to save their life. Crichton is the only notable exception I've come across so far, and so it's always a double joy when he decides to make his main character female; not only because the focus is on a woman for a change, but because she's usually competent, intelligent and kickass.

While rather short (260 pages) and with a kind of cut off ending, it's still a really nice read; mind control, a psycho killer, kickass female protagonist. What more could you want?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Terminal Man.

05/04/2011 page 13
4.0% "Found on this book's copyright page: "'The Terminal Man' first appeared in a somewhat different version in 'Playboy' magazine." ...lol, wut?"
05/06/2011 page 58
19.0% "Ah, Michael Crichton: the only male sci-fi/thriller author (that I've come across so far) able to write likable female characters."
show 2 hidden updates…