Colleen's Reviews > Guadalcanal Diary

Guadalcanal Diary by Richard Tregaskis

Apr 24, 09

Read in September, 2003

This wasn't a great book but it was an interesting read. I expected more than what I got out of it. Richard Tregaskis is a journalist who tags along with the U.S. Marines when they invade Guadalcanal during WWII. Each day he records what he sees and hears for the people back home in the U.S. Where Tregaskis succeeds is in his description of Guadalcanal and the surrounding islands. He made these exotic South Pacific islands come alive for me. Where he fails is his inability to convey the excitement, fear, and other emotions people go through in a war. Everything is written so matter-of-fact. For example, Tregaskis writes about bombing raids and air raid drills occurring every single night. But he never tells us how the lack of sleep affected them. They had to be exhausted. What did they eat? What did they carry with them? I wanted to know more, more, more. In another strange part of the book, Moana Tregaskis writes the afterword but nowhere do they tell us who she is. Wife, daughter, niece of Tregaskis? Just another missing gap in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guadalcanal Diary.