Emily's Reviews > Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven: A Gutsy Guide to Becoming One Hot (and Healthy) Mother!

Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven by Rory Freedman

972022
Apr 24, 09

Read in November, 2008

Ok, honestly, I did not read this whole book. After reading part of it I went back and read the entire cover looking for where it said that the book advocates a vegan diet (not what I was looking to read about) and promotes totally insane conspiracy theories. It doesn’t say anything about that on the cover at all!

I think the problem is that the book was written by models. Now, as a big fan of America’s Next Top Model and as someone who practices poses in the mirror several times a day, I really am interested in models and modeling. But I have a firm belief that most models should not write nutrition books! People who eat 3 carrot sticks a day and claim to be full and fat…hello?! That’s like a smoker writing a book about healthy lifestyles. Not the most qualified point of view!

Also, I think these very lovely ladies watch a little too much ‘20/20’. When I was a kid I loved that show. They were always doing exposés on things like: The grass in your yard has been genetically modified to open your front door, run down the hall, and climb in your ears at night to tickle your brain so that you don’t get sleep. It is the government’s goal to keep the American public sleep deprived and confused because they are easier to control that way.

Ok, so I made that one up, but there were often ridiculous things that they did stories on. These ladies run along the same vein. Except where they mention that celery has toxins in it. I almost gave the book 5 stars just for that. Obviously, that is not an insane theory. Celery is clearly the most disgusting food ever and is obviously full of poison.

But what I disliked the most is that the authors were mean. They continually would spew out some stupid conspiracy (ie ‘Milk causes cancer!’) and then tell you directly that you are stupid cuz you never knew that and if you don’t follow their awesome advice now and forever you are dumb and dumber! And they swear a whole hell of a lot.

So, skip it. Unless you are a mean model vegetarian -- or looking to become one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily Well, that was a needlessly mean comment. Did you read the part in my review about how the authors were mean? Are you friends with them?

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Amen, Emily. I really liked your 20/20 expose example. I actually think I saw that one.

Amanda Birdwell Thank you for writing this! I recognize that, as a recovering anorexic and bulimic who is trying to have a healthy pregnancy, I really have no business reading this book. However, I continually get lured in by the s/m ethics these ladies promote. I'm spending enough of my first trimester in tears without feeling like hitler because yogurt and eggs are some of the only foods I can choke down right now.

Emily Scooter...eat those eggs and yogurt! :) I did when I was pregnant and guess what?! My kid is just fine. And I did not die either!