Artie's Reviews > Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions

Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely

Jul 15, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended to Artie by: Freakonomics Blog
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in June, 2009

This book literally changed the way I thought about the purchases I consider and how businesses decide on pricing models. I'm not sure how long the affect will last for, but for a while whenever I see one extra expensive entree on a restaurant menu I'll ask myself, "Is that other entree that's $2 cheaper a really high margin product?"

Dan Ariely is a great researcher and magnificent story teller. He presents thoroughly researched ideas and theories out in small tales that are as didactic as they are entertaining. It may or may not change the way I operate, but I love it when he points out how irrational or illogical we are about choosing between things. Beer with balsamic vinegar or without? What, you think balsamic vinegar is an odd choice to put in beer? Well then you're missing out! Who knew?

Anyway, go read this and feel that you're more equipped to make smart choices with your money... or go read this and feel like every business owner is out to rob you. Either way!

P.S. If you don't want to read it, or want some supplementary stuff from Dan Ariely look up his TED talk videos. They're online and free. Yes, free!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Predictably Irrational.