Abram's Reviews > Gunpowder: Alchemy, Bombards, And Pyrotechnics: The History Of The Explosive That Changed The World

Gunpowder by Jack Kelly

Apr 24, 2009

liked it
Read in April, 2009

I loved this book and only gave it 3 stars because I dont think its a great book for everyone.
The book gives a detailed history of the invention and progress of gunpowder manufacturing. It is a very easy read with some terminology and jargon that you may have to look up, but overall I believe it to be very approachable for the everyday reader. Kelly does a good job of pointing out how the use of gunpowder affected history and for me brought to light how important a few inventors and chemists were to the formation of the weaponry of the world which in turn shaped world as we know it today. Without the discovery of GP many of the wars that have been fought may have had differing results, super powers may not have evolved and much of the conquest of native cultures would not have happened. There is no question of the accelerating effect it had on the conquest for power and the ability for nations to do so.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunpowder.

04/02 marked as: read