hannah's Reviews > Orientalism

Orientalism by Edward W. Said

May 26, 2009

bookshelves: for-school, cultural-studies, lit-theory, scholarly
Read in January, 2009

Another book that I feel as if I will never be finished reading. I've read excerpts from this book for two different classes and then also read parts for myself for a discussion group I'm in. It's an excellent tool to apply to a lot of areas, like Latin American studies, which is what both of my classes used it for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orientalism.

message 1: by John (new)

John Having read this book is quite an accomplishment. I'm afraid to crack it open even though I'm "into" PoCo lit. I mostly use Ashcroft et al's book, "The Empire Writes Back" in class.

hannah John wrote: "Having read this book is quite an accomplishment. I'm afraid to crack it open even though I'm "into" PoCo lit. I mostly use Ashcroft et al's book, "The Empire Writes Back" in class."
I still feel like I can't say I've read it completely. I have read the introduction a few times and the first two chapters, but I still have to buy the book and read the entire thing. But I figured it would be awhile before I picked up again, hence adding it to my read list. It's very interesting to read for a lot of classes. The two I've read it in were both about Latin America, and we used the book to understand concepts of "the other," because I think ideas in the book are no longer limited to the Orient, but just to the non-white world.

message 3: by John (new)

John What you say about "Orientalism" I say about "The Empire Writes Back"--I've read the introduction so many times that I'm familiar with it as if I've read the the entire book. The reason I haven't read the rest of it is because the other chapters are on books that are probably out of print in the U.S. Nonetheless, I'll prob pick up Said's book to read the first two chapters.